12 Bites I Had at the Feast Portland Weekend
This is the 3rd year in a row that I've gone up to cover Feast PDX. I've been to a number of other food festivals around the country but FeastPDX continues to impress me as the focus is on quality of food as opposed to celebrity chefs & personalities (which a lot of other festivals are about). Here's some highlights from the weekend.
- •Gobi Manchurian from Bollywood TheaterThis might have been the only dish I went back for seconds. That's saying a lot. I NEVER go back for seconds.
- •Grinder Sandwich from Olympic ProvisionsAs epic as it looks.
- •Mei Lin's pork belly pate egg roll.I mean look at it! I almost didn't want to eat it. Almost.
- •Eggslut's egg dip sandwichI am baffled by the fact that I still have yet to go there when I visit LA. What is wrong with me?
- •Franklin BBQ spit roasted cow's headThe only time where I pulled the "Hey, I'm media, can I get a 'beauty one' to photograph?" so I can cut in line. Sorry folks in line. I'm THAT guy.
- •Little T Baker's Sfogliatelle filled with Greek yogurt and fruit from the forest.I fully admit that I was taking a photo of Chef Tim Healea's biceps. But his sweet filled dessert was seriously as delicious as he looked serving it.
- •Nong's smoked version of her Khao Man GaiI love Nong's Khao Man Gai, which is usually a poached chicken but she grilled and smoked it for the event and it took it to a new level.
- •Illama Sockeye handroll from Bamboo SushiMade to order, the line was long but worth it. If @AJ was there, he would have eaten 3 or 4 of these.
- •Rabbit Paella from Crown PaellaDefinitely a showstopper in terms of presentation and preparation during the Smoked! Event.
- •Buttermilk fudge ice cream with peanuts, candied ginger, lime zest & shaved bottarga from Fifty Licks & Chef Jenn LouisThis blew up on my FB page when I posted it because folks thought the bottarga (a cured fish roe) was an OUTRAGEOUS addition. Jenn Louis is known for doing stuff like this so it didn't surprise me. I'm not a huge fan of umami w/sweet cold desserts (like blueberry & miso soft serve from Milk Bar or Parmesan and ham ice cream from Humphry Slocombe) but this one worked for me. The bottarga was really subtle and you only just noticed it at the end.
- •Foietella - foie gras & chocolate by Xocolatl de DavidCall it gimmicky if you want but the crowd went crazy insane for this.
- •Grilled wagyu with cider reduction, horseradish, rosemary & charred corn salad by RingSide SteakhouseI wanted more. But at this point I was full. Damn my tiny stomach.
- •Bonus: Adam Sappington of the Country Cat posing for me.Like a bad ass that he is. His smoked grilled steak was killer. I think I have a shot of it in my dSLR camera but not my iPhone here.
- •I'll be posting tons more photos next week on my blog. I just have to sort and process them. These are strictly my iPhone ones.And now I am hungry....