Common Things You See in the Castro Neighborhood on a Weekend Afternoon
In case you didn't know, the Castro is a predominantly gay neighborhood in San Francisco. It's kind of a boring neighborhood but people go there anyway.
- •Completely drunk manHopefully being led home by his somewhat more sober boyfriend. But not always.
- •Naked manLess so now. But usually there's at least one or two.
- •Drag queen
- •Sister of Perpetual Indulgence NunNot to be confused with a garden variety drag queen.
- •Random friend who you haven't seen in three yearsThe Castro is like a gay college campus where no one graduates. If you're gay, chances are you'll run into someone you know. Even if you're visiting from out of town.
- •Several men standing alone on their phone clearly on Grindr looking to hookupI always want to tell them "Hey. If you just look up from your phone, you can probably hook up with that guy. Or that guy. Or that guy."
- •Crazy person dressed inexplicably, possibly muttering incoherently.Have you seen The Alien, for example? Also, this passes for entertainment value here.
- •Gay porn starYou just might not know it.
- •Bear in a utilikilt.The big hairy guy, not an actual ursine.
- •TouristUsually gawking at all of the above in glee/horror.