Evidence We Are Now Living in the Future
We don't have hoverboards or jet packs but the future is now because...
- •You can FaceTime with your therapist.This is a thing! I had no idea. I thought it was just a plot device for a Lisa Kudrow show. But my partner was feeling ill and he called his therapist to cancel and the therapist gave him the option to FaceTime! Technology!
- •You deposit a check with your smartphone.This is like magic to me. As a freelancer it used to be a chore for me to take my checks to the ATM. Now I can just take a picture and magical money appears in my account!
- •Everyone has a computer in his/her pocketIt still kind of baffles me that we all take smartphones for granted. The fact that we can now end every argument with a "lemme just Wikipedia that" sort of deflates all the fun out of the hours I would spend arguing with friends on whether it was Bernestein Bears or Berenstain Bears though. (FYI, it's the later one.)
- •Big Brother really is watching.Not to be paranoid or anything but damn you traffic cameras! You're the solution to 75% of all procedural TV shows now. Well that and secondary B Plots that somehow magically relates to the solution of the crime.
- •TouchscreensGrowing up this was sci fi. Like Star Trek sci fi. Hanging out with 5 year olds a few weekends ago I watch them navigate the iPad and think "Holy crap! They are growing up in a world where touch screens never did not exist." This blew my mind.
- •Bonus! Coming soon: Face/Eye tracking technology 👀Minority Report used this a lot when Tom Cruise went jogging and had ads customized to him flash on surfaces. A few years ago I was at 3M in Minneapolis for work. They were testing this technology for...fast food chain digital menus. Yeah, you should be creeped out. It's just a matter of time before menus will dynamically change on the fly when you walk into a fast food joint, based on your age, gender or weight.