How to Make Pumpkin Spice Dirt Bomb Muffins
A couple of weeks ago I posted a recipe on my blog for pumpkin spice dirt bomb muffins. Basically they are pumpkin muffins dipped in melted butter than rolled in pumpkin spice sugar. People went crazy for them. Here's the recipe in list form
- •This is what the muffins look like.Just in case you were wondering before you read this recipe list...
- •Preheat and oven to 375°F and grease a regular muffin tin with cooking spray or melted butter.Don't use cupcake paper liners.
- •Place 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice blend in a bowl. Stir the heck out of it with a balloon whisk until uniform in color.This is way easier than sifting the dry ingredients together.
- •Place 1 stick (1/2 cup) room temperature unsalted butter, 3/4 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat together until light and fluffy. (You can also use a hand mixer. It will just take longer to mix.)If you forgot to bring the butter to room temperature, just cut it into cubes and beat it by itself in the bowl until it warms up before adding three sugar and vanilla. You'll have to scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple times though.
- •Add 1 large egg and beat to incorporate.Scrape down the side of the bowl after you beat the egg in.
- •Mix 1/2 cup pumpkin purée and 1/2 cup milk together in a small bowl or glass measuring cup.Don't use pumpkin pie filling. It's gross and has a weird metallic flavor.
- •Add half the dry ingredients to the butter and beat to incorporate. Add half the pumpkin milk and do the same thing. Repeat with the rest of the dry ingredients and then the pumpkin milk.You probably want to also scrape down the sides of the bowl between additions just to make sure it all getting well blended.
- •Divide the batter into the muffin cups evenly and bake for 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.Ovens can vary so make sure to check the muffins on the early side.
- •Let them muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then carefully remove them from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.You want them completely cool or you'll have a soggy mess of a muffin after the next step.
- •Once the muffins are cool, melt 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter and pour into a shallow bowl.This is why you have a microwave. Well, this and to warm up leftovers.
- •Place 1 cup white sugar in another shallow bowl and add 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice blend and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir together with a fork until uniform in color.
- •Take one cooled muffin and roll it around in the melted butter until it is complete coated. Then immediately roll it around in the pumpkin spice sugar until it is completely coated in the sugar. Place back on the cooling rack.This gets a little messy but totally worth it.
- •Repeat with the remaining muffins. If you let it cool a bit, the butter and sugar coating gets slightly crunchy which is awesome.And then try not to eat them all. These will lasts a day or two under a cake dome but we devoured them so fast I can't tell you how long they really last past day two.
- •You can check out the full recipe on my blog if you want.