Portmanteaus I Hate
Normally I love a good portmanteau (the combination of two words into one). But there are a few that I just hate. Feel free to add your own.
- •Gaysian: gay + asianDear person that made this word up. I hate you.
- •Murse: male + purseWhy isn't this just a messenger bag or even just a bag? Where did this come from? Also totally confusing because I think of male nurse. Don't use this word.
- •Murse: male + nurseWhy can't you just be a nurse? Why must you qualify your gender?
- •Mompreneur: mom + enterpreneurIt sounds so apologetic. You can be a mom and an entrepreneur. Those two aren't mutually exclusive.
- •Cheftestant: chef + contestantUgh. Don't get me started on celebrity chefs and reality TV. There are some great chefs who have been on TV but I lowkey hate the word cheftestant. It's become almost a joke. Being a chef is mark of respect. Don't dumb it down by using this word.
- •ChillaxThankfully it isn't used much anymore but this is a useless word when you think about it. Don't chill and relax basically mean the same thing?
- •Fantabulous: fantastic and fabulousSee chillax
- •Ginormous: gigantic and enormousSee chillax
- •Guesstimate: guess and estimateSee chillax
- •Bromance: brother + romanceThis totally smacks of homophobia. Can't two guys just be pals? Nope. If you label it a bromance, it's because the two guys are STRAIGHT and have a great friendship! How very progressive. It's basically like saying #NoHomo whenever it's used.
- •Shemale: she + maleI immediately know what sort of tacky sleazy porn you watch.
- •Mangina: man + vaginaMy friend Michelle came across this one reading M/M slash fiction. She immediately texted me and asked if I knew the word and if it was commonly used. I did not know and have never heard it since. But I can NEVER, not mentally see the image it conjures up again. Thanks Michelle.
- •MomagerMom + manager. Not anti its existence, but just say mom and manager, jeez louise...Suggested by @mattan
- •SheroI guess its ok but usually used in a cringe context. Really depends who is saying it.Suggested by @stars
- •CronutIf it is basically a donut that you have to wait an hour to buy for $9, it better have diamonds inside itSuggested by @ChrisK
- •P'zoneA calzone is basically already just a folded pizza, Pizza HutSuggested by @ChrisK
- •Twerk = nuff saidSuggested by @reconditioner
- •Any amalgam of people's names to show that you ship them.Yes, I'm old.Suggested by @bookishclaire