The Best New Year's Day Blt Themed Brunch I've Ever Been To!
I always say that if you want to be fed well, become friends with food writers. @seantimberlake's annual New Year's Day BLT Brunch is the quintessential example of this. Here's what he (and his husband Paul) had to offer at their BLT extravaganza.
- •Booze - mostly sparkling plus some mixers.And some wine. Also a bottle of sparkling nonalcoholic cider that I brought. I think I might have been the only one to drink it though.
- •CoffeeAfter all, it is a New Year's DAY brunch. Folks are going to be hungover.
- •Sichuan Bacon10 pounds of it. Home cured five-spice Sichuan bacon smoked over Japanese plum wood. If you're going to make bacon for a party, go all out! (Recipe can be found at http://foodpreservation.about.com/od/Salt-Cure/r/Sichuan-Bacon-Recipe.htm )
- •LettuceIceberg of course. It's the lettuce of choice for a classic BLT.
- •Oil packed dried tomatoesSean and Paul do a massive tomato canning project over the summertime where they process 100 pounds of tomatoes. We get to eat some of the product of their labor!
- •Tomato jamMore product from their summer tomato-fest.
- •Pullman's loaf breadPaul is the baker. He made 6 loaves for the party!
- •Plus extra condiments of your choice for the BLTMustard and mayo. I didn't bother to take photos.
- •Black eyed peasThe dish, not the band with Fergie. Its traditional for the New Year's right?
- •Collard GreensSalty delicious collard greens. So good!
- •All served on adorable platesSean and Paul collect this pattern. It's so cute!
- •This is my BLTI didn't let my bread toast enough because I was impatient and there was a line of folks waiting for the toaster. But otherwise it was perfection.
- •Also there was a great Brussels sprout salad and cookies that other people had brought to the party.I didn't photograph these either. I was too busy stuffing my face.
- •Yay Sean and Paul!The hosts extraordinaire! Thanks for having @AJ and me over for your amazing New Year's Day BLT brunch. Happy New Years to you all!