The Easiest Way to Make a Large Batch of Bacon (or to Make Any Amount of Bacon Really!)
I recently cured 10lbs of bacon for a weekend trip to Lake Tahoe with 16 adults & 13 kids. Cooking big batches of bacon is actually pretty easy. Here's a step-by-step on using the oven method of cooking bacon, which is actually one of the easiest methods for cooking any amount of bacon.
- 1.Preheat your oven to 400°FIf you have convection, that's great too. If not don't worry about it.
- 2.Line a rimmed baking pan with aluminum foil. If you have a wire cooling rack, you can put it on the baking sheet. Otherwise don't worry about it.You don't need to do this but it makes clean up much easier. The wire rack will help the heat circulate around the bacon and make it extra crisp but don't worry if you don't have a wire rack.
- 3.Place the bacon on the baking pan (with or without the wire rack). Fit as much as you can, as close as possible (the bacon will shrink) but don't overlap the bacon. It might stick together and be hard to pull apart.
- 4.Place the pan in the oven.This is self explanatory. Not even sure why I took a photo of it.
- 5.Set the timer for 15 minutes.Check the bacon at about 12 minutes. The timing of your bacon being done will vary depending on how thick the bacon is, how much you put on the pan, how crisp you like the bacon, your oven calibration and a bunch of other factors. Usually the bacon is done around 15 minutes for thick cut. It can go as long as 20 though. Or as short as 10-12 minutes depending on hot your oven runs and how thin your bacon is. If you like it crispy, leave it in a minute or two longer. Just don't burn it!
- 6.Pull the bacon off the baking pan with tongs. Drain the bacon by placing it on a plate lined with paper towels. You might also want to pat dry the oil off the top of the bacon.
- 7.Serve it up! Watch as people go crazy for home cured bacon.I made 5 lbs of traditional cured bacon and 5lbs Sichuan spiced bacon. Both were pretty awesome and disappeared fast. But the Sichuan is something really special...