Top 6 Funkiest Flavor Combinations I Judged Today.
I tasted and judged 53 different confections, truffles and bon bons for the Good Food Awards today. I am in a sugar coma, tasted some decent candy and a lot of really bad and weird stuff. Here are the weirdest.
- 1.Apricot Pistachio goat cheese truffleI barely tasted the apricot and pistachio. The ganache had the pastiness of goat cheese though. In not a good way.
- 2.Brandy cherry & hazelnut goat cheese truffleAgain I barely tasted the cherry or hazelnut but got a lot of funky goat cheese pastiness.
- 3.Sour cherry and chèvre bon bonWhat's up with the cherry and goat cheese candies? Better than the truffle. But will not good.
- 4.Parmesan Reggiano chocolate barThe best of all the cheese and chocolate combos, but still not great. I stand firm with my opinion that cheese and chocolate should not mix in a candy. Nothing has convinced me otherwise today.
- 5.Smoked Salmon and Douglas fir truffleThis wasn't as horribly offensive as it sounds. But it wasn't really good either. The orange salmon pieces in the truffle were off putting.
- 6.Juniper gin truffleSurprising good. The earthy juniper really highlighted the earthy notes in the chocolate. I'd totally eat more of it.