I BASICALLY GREW UP IN FOOTLOOSE
I grew up in a super conservative household. But don't worry. I've recovered.
- •I saw Footloose when I was 29.When my friends found out how conservative my childhood was, they asked if it was like growing up in Footloose. I didn't know because I'd never seen the movie.
- •I couldn't watch Dirty Dancing because my parents thought it was about dancing.If only they'd known!
- •I got excused from square dance in gym class because of my parents' sincerely held religious beliefs.
- •I never went to a dance.My high school had banquets instead of dances.
- •Dancing was considered the worst.We used to joke that premarital sex was frowned on because it would lead to dancing.
- •No pictured cards or numbered cubes.Playing cards and dice were forbidden. I still call clubs "puppy paws" and spades "shovels."
- •My high school boyfriend and I once got into a fight about which was worse: trick-or-treating or going to the movie theater.I married him.
- •I didn't go to a movie theater until I was 19.I was in college and saw The Lion King. I immediately called my father to confess.
- •No mixed bathing.Swimming strictly segregated by gender.
- •Playing on train tracks was encouraged.
- •My dad is a pastor.So literally the John Lithgow character. My dad's definitely against book burning.