Questions People Ask When They Hear You Homeschool(ed)
(It's been a while since these were asked of me [class of 2003], but I think they're probably still being asked of homeschoolers everywhere.)
- •Do you have friends?Yes.
- •Do you get to wear pajamas all day?On the days we didn't go anywhere, yes.
- •Do you get to sleep in?Usually. My mom is a night owl, though, so that made a difference.
- •Do you grow your own vegetables?No. I mean, we occasionally had a tomato plant or two in the summer, but we didn't really have a big garden.
- •How can you stand being around your mom all day?I never really thought of this as a thing until someone asked me. I was around my mom all day. Most kids are around hundreds of strangers. That's just how it was.
- •Don't you want to go back to school?Nope.
- •Yeah, but didn't you want to go to prom/play sports?We did that stuff. It was different, but we had proms and sports and plays and student government through various homeschool organizations.
- •So you never really did school, did you?Homeschoolers are required by law to do a certain amount of school work a day (in TN when I was growing up, it was 4 hours). We would usually get creative with how we learned, but everything was an educational opportunity. We learned all the time.
- •Will you homeschool your kids?There are too many factors at play to determine this before actually having children, but I have not ruled it out as a possibility.