In random order
- •Jhumpa LahiriOne of the few who is still able to keep me up all night.
- •Dianne SetterfieldSee comment on Lahiri.
- •Antonio G. IturbeThose of you in the publishing industry should do your best for his book La Bibliotecaria de Auschwitz to be translated into English. It's the single most beautiful book about books that I have ever read - and I've read a few. This one was originally written in Spanish, so the Portuguese translation was brilliant.
- •Gabriel García MárquezAlways. The best story teller of all time.
- •Meg WolitzerBecause The Interestings left me with the strongest book hangover of my entire life.
- •José SaramagoFor a Portuguese author. I love his writing, but I wonder how it would work in English.
- •William Somerset MaughamWriting well is writing simple.
- •James HiltonFor both Lost Horizon and Random Harvest. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.
- •Haruki MurakamiWhom I discovered thanks to my sister.
- •Joël DickerFor The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair. I will always be on the lookout for anything he writes, although I've read his first novel and I didn't like it as much.
- •Anna QuindlenEvery Last One is a book that is going to stay with me forever.
- •Charles DickensThere's a reason why some writers make it through university classrooms and stand the test of time. Great literature will always be quite another thing.
- •Donna TartSome find her books too long. I love her attention to detail.
- •MoreWill be added as they come to mind.