Best slow burn romantic movies
This is my favorite type of movie, and yes, I am adequately embarrassed. I'm only making this list so others can find it and have their eyes glaze over too.
- •Cairo Time (2009)The slooooowwwwwest slow burn ever. But so hot (no pun intended-what's up Egypt!). Love these actors (Patricia Clarkson Alexander Siddig) the settings, love that the dialogue has them both saying and doing cringe worthy stuff to try and impress the other. Magnificent!
- •The Tamarind Seed (1974)I had never even heard of this old ass wonderful movie before 2009 but Omar Sharif is his normal charming self and Julie Andrews is so no-nonsense. What happens when an Egyptian pretend to be a Russian takes the most up tight chick ever clubbing in 1970's?! The most understated fireworks ever! Oh and there's some Cold War spy shit too, Comrade.
- •The Man From UNCLE (2015)Another Cold War spy shit slow burn! Illya and Gaby forever! Tons of smoldering! There's actually an interesting plot and the bad guys are like mustache twirling bad but the dance wrestling and the tracker fixing- yowza!
- •Learning to Drive (2014)Have I mentioned how much I love Patricia Clarkson? Cause she's the queen of the slow burn. I also love Ben Kingsley sometimes and the cross cultural slow burn is always a treat. Lots of other plots in here too if you're interested in movies about divorce or weirdo college kids.
- •Anna and the King (1999)Duh. Everyone knows this story, it's a classic but I hated the original and loved this one. Less racist maybe? Good times.
- •Far and Away (1992)I have mixed feelings about Tom Cruise and this movie is one reason. Because I frickin love him in this! I first saw this as a kid and that might have colored how good I think it is but it's still nice to see Nicole Kidman pre bat face from time to time.
- •Sweet Land (2005)The chemistry isn't as good in this one but it's still cute.
- •The Painted Veil (2006)Grab the motherfing tissues because this thing turns all the feels on with some twists at the end. Love Edward Norton and Naomi Watts too.
- •Reality Bites (1994)Love/hate that she falls for this loser but...if ya been there...ya know. Great soundtrack too. Except for that one song....
- •Kontroll (2003)First let me ask if anyone else would like to be in my Hungarian movie fan club? I can't get enough of Sandor Csanyi and I've seen all his movies (it helps that they're all mostly slow burn romance movies but whateves) but this one is the best. He's weird, he's hot, he has a crazy job. This is a great movie.
- •The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)Not exacccctttlllyyyyyy a romance. Maybe more like a dark ass kids movie about sticking with what you know. Ha. Sally even has a cute song about basically what the hell is his deal?
- •Great Expectations (1998)Slow intentional burn more like. Lots of pining away for a misunderstood bitch who has her moments. Great soundtrack!
- •Z for Zachariah (2015)Post apocalyptic and slow burn? Yes please! But shit gets weird. Good and weird. And sad, maybe.
- •Far from the Madding Crowd (2015)Very very slow burn. So much so I'm like dude, just move on, this bitch is awful. But....he's like all romantic and whatnot so it's cute and AGONIZING.
- •Jupiter Ascending (2015)Most people hate this movie. It does have quite a few plot holes but I can compartmentalize those to get to the weird ass slow burn between an housekeeping alien queen and a strange dog solider dude. That's right, it's in there. Maybe it reminds me of Tank Girl?
- •Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (2011)This was such a weird topic for a movie I never expected it to be a slow burn. But it is and it's lovely. Love Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt.