Fall Curriculum 2016:
inspired by @soniakharkar
- •DocumentariesThe average doc has way more influence over me than the average movie, that's right i'm gullible & pretentious! And yet I (generously) watch 1 doc per 50 movies. Must sees: Room 237, Weiner, Under The Great White Northern Lights, To Be & To Have, Tim's Vermeer, Vice episodes, etc.
- •Routine/Self CareI used to think routine was the enemy of creativity, but so is sleeping for 9 hours & eating breakfast @ noon. The goal is to be asleep by 11 & up by 5, yikes.
- •ReadingYou can trace all my past interests through the books i've purchased & have yet to read. I buy at least 3 more books monthly than I finish. The starting point is reading one book every two weeks, & hopefully working up to a book a week.
- •Mindfulness MeditationI've spent 400% more time researching the benefits of meditation than I have actually meditating. I'll also try to incorporate mindfulness into the entirety of my day.
- •JournalingAnother thing I've extensively researched without ever putting into action. At its worst the journal will contain a list of the day's activities & ticket stubs, and @ it's best i'll be creating evidence of some of the worst thoughts/moments of my life.
- •HydrationI haven't been properly hydrated since 1998.
- •MusicI have weeks of unlistened to music that I never make a priority. I'd also like to get up to date w/ some classics that I'm embarrassed to be unfamiliar w/ like Elliot Smith, Lou Reed, Tom Waits, other sad men.
- •VocabularyThe amount of words I hear regularly & know contextually but am not confident enough in to use is pathetic. I'm jazzed to get back to flash cards.
- •Long Distance RunningI know this isn't the most efficient means of exercise, but for whatever reason I've always idolized long distance running. Reading Haruki Murakami's memoir certainly didn't help. Nothing crazy to start, at least 4 days a week working up to a regular 5 miles per day.
- •Steve MartinI love Steve Martin, but Steve for me is the sweet banjo playing writer/actor from The Pink Panther & Cheaper by the Dozen. I'd like to read more of his writing & watch his older movies/standup. I also think he's a good role model in general & want to strive to be more creative/hardworking like him.