The Time Crossfit Put Me in the Hospital for 8 Days
"Rhabdomyolysis is a serious syndrome due to a direct or indirect muscle injury. It results from the death of muscle fibers and release of their contents into the bloodstream. This can lead to complications such as renal (kidney) failure. This occurs when the kidneys cannot remove waste and concentrated urine."-webmd
- 1.I had just returned from a family trip to Napa Valley where I had consumed 3000 calories a day. The day I got back I decided to try out Crossfit at the East Village location.
- 2.I arrived early to the Saturday class eager to prove that I could "clean" and "burpee" w the best of them!I was voted most athletic in high school and I played D1 softball in college. This was going to be a piece of pie. Everyone was going to remark on what a gifted athlete I was. Surely.
- 3.I informed them this was my first class and I had never done Crossfit before.
- 4.The warm up activity was a volleyball game with a weight ball.
- 5.The actual class was a blur. There were dead lifts, toes to bars, sit ups, burpees and various other exercisesI was struck immediately by the culty nature of the class. Despite being my first class, I wasn't separated from the rest of the experienced cross fitters and it was a team competition in which I was expected to pull my weight.
- 6.About half way through the class my arms started to feel tingly. I remember thinking this is weird. There was no water fountain in this particular Crossfit and I had forgotten to bring water. I made it through the class thirsty.
- 7.I then rode my bike home feeling pretty tired but normal. Only weird thing was that my arms felt like jello.
- 8.The next morning I woke up and my arms were INSANELY sore.Like I could not think about anything but how much my biceps and triceps hurt. I took so many Advil. I bought icy hot. I thought I must've pulled something. That night I slept like a body in a coffin w my arms crossed across my chest. It had become impossible to straighten my arms by nighttime.
- 9.Monday I went to work. My arms were still in excruciating pain and unable to be straightened. They had also doubled in size; they were extremely swollen from shoulder to wrist. My gf did some research i.e. She googled "Crossfit. Can't straighten arms. Swollen" and rhabdo came up
- 10.We went to the ER and stayed in the hospital for 8 days.The hospital staff couldn't believe that I had it. They said it was only common for Navy Seals and Ultramarathoners. I spent 8 days in the hospital. I was on an IV for the entire time. I had my blood drawn every 4 hrs for the entire stay. 😫 I had 3 different roommates since I was there for so long.
- 11.I was released and I would never do Crossfit again.I've been told that it is very uncommon for a newbie to be thrown into a full class w no training. I realize all Crossfit places aren't like the one I tried. But the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Never again!