Pop Culture I Consume When Everything Is Shit
It hasn't been my day, or month, or even my year since March.
- •"Illinois" by Sufjan StevensGOD DAMN, THIS ALBUM IS SO MISERABLE/AWESOME. It's wallowing. It's life-affirming. I die every time the ecstasy that is "Chicago" is sucker-punched by the agony that is "Casimir Pulaski Day." My only regret is that while "Michigan" is good, "Illinois" achieves real greatness.
- •"Buffy the Vampire Slayer"Funny. Tragic. Violent. Great plots. Joss Whedon. There's a lot for a TV buff to like about "Buffy," but for me it's about being miserable, uncool and 14 and not feeling sad about it. It's a nice reminder that at some point in my life I had hope.
- •"Harry Potter"Hello, overwhelming obsession of my teen and college years. It's nice to just sink into the series and forget everything. I know the books so well reading them again is like cozying up in your favorite chair in your childhood home. The charms of the books are well-documented, but the ease they put me at is priceless.
- •"Shrek"The only one in the franchise worth a damn, "Shrek" holds a dear place in my heart because my little brother watched it EVERY DAY for over a year, and we can both recite it on command; lines from the movie are deeply imbedded into family in-jokes. And who doesn't love a super-dated "Matrix"-style visual gag?
- •"Anne of Green Gables"In case of EXTREME emergency, this timeless series is the jam for when I need ALL THE REASSURANCE that there is good in the world.
- •"Grey's Anatomy"As fucking insane as later seasons got, I will go to the mat for the first 2.5 seasons as being some of the greatest TV of the 2000s. The best part: Either Meredith, Cristina, Izzy, Alex or George ALWAYS has it worse than what I've going on.
- •Film adaptations of Jane Austen novelsThere's nothing like spending six-straight hours with "Pride and Prejudice" to brighten up a day.
- •Mid-to-high-brow sitcoms"Community." "How I Met Your Mother." "Parks and Recreation." "New Girl." "Archer." You know, the good stuff.
- •Random low-brow TV shows"Another Period." "Reign." The trashier and weirder, the better.