NOTES ON GETTING NOTES
I found this scrawled in a notebook. A list of ten things to remember that I wrote while waiting to go into a notes session with some studio executives and the director.
- •What if they're right?
- •What's the problem behind the problem?
- •Is there a short-term solution with long-term benefits?
- •Everyone has a motivation. What's theirs?
- •Is it a disagreement about the script or a miscommunication between me and them?
- •Did I express this as clearly as possible?
- •Am I expecting them to know the script as well as I do? Don't. That's my job.
- •Are they seeing the big picture? Take them through the falling dominos.
- •What can change? What can't?
- •Am I standing up for myself or just being defensive?