WORST SMELLS IN NYC ++
Living in NYC means submitting to a 24/7 assault on the senses. It's exhausting, but I think it also helps develop a discerning nose. I'm basically a trash sommelier.
- •Hot foil burning under the pretzels on a snack cartIf cancer had a smell this would be it tbh. Topnote: salty cardboard (this is the pretzel) Basenote: gasoline.
- •Curb puddlesWhen was the last time it rained? Irrelevant. curb puddles just keep fermenting like plein air Petri dishes. Topnote: bog. Basenote: yeast.
- •Stale urinea group of homeless people inhabit the train station closest to my work and use the stairwell as their latrine. Once a month the MTA cleans the area but the potency of the urine smell pre-power wash is punishing. Top note: ammonia. Base note: ammonia.
- •Body odor on the subwayI have nothing clever to say about this it just sucks straight up
- •Early morning halal cart fumesI have nothing against spicy meat smells in the right context but I have everything against spicy meat smells when I'm not prepared mentally, physically, and emotionally. Topnote: cumin. Base note: regret.
- •Grand Street in ChinatownTopnote: fish at room temp. Basenote: rancid bok choy.