BEST FILMS OF 2015 PRE-AWARDS SEASON
I missed a lot of movies this year, so please feel free to leave any recs!
- •1. Mad Max: Fury RoadThis movie is perfect for so many reasons: the story, the action, the themes, the cast, the looks. It succeeds on every level. It's amazing someone not named James Cameron was allowed to make a big budget studio movie with such a vision. Not to mention the first pro-matriarchy film since Marleen Gorris' Antonia's Line!
- •2. Inside OutThis should get a best picture nomination to say the least. Pixar outdoes themselves, creating the most emotionally satisfying and existential film, with no villain to boot!
- •3. It FollowsTakes the scene from Halloween where Michael Meyers walks across the street towards Laurie while she tries to get into the front door and makes it a whole movie! The minimalist approach leaves more questions than answers and makes for the best horror film since Cabin in the Woods.
- •4. TangerineOne of the best "LA" films ever made is also a great human comedy. This is tricky given the talent onscreen could be made to be punchlines in a lesser movie, but it's exactly the reason this is not a lesser movie. Shot entirely on iPhone 5s, which redefined DYI filmmaking in 2015.
- •5. Ex MachinaAlex Garland's directorial debut feels has a cold, distant feel, but it's so involving and really well crafted. One of the more grounded takes on robots and singularity. The other being Her, my fav film of 2013!
- •6. Mission Impossible: Rogue NationNot as action-oriented as its predecessors, but the first one that felt like a full blooded, standalone movie. A great story and Ethan Hunt feels like a person and Rebecca Ferguson is awesome as a British counterpart.
- •7. CinderellaWhat an update! Kenneth Branagh updates the story making Cinderella far less passive and the wicked stepmother with more dimensions too!