FRIDAY THE 13TH FILMS, RANKED
Not counting Freddy Vs. Jason or the reboot
- •Friday the 13th Part IIIV: Jason Takes ManhattanThis one is the best one for so many reasons. The main one being, he doesn't get to Manhattan until act 3. Before that, we get him on a boat. Once he gets there though, there's more fun in that 30-ish minutes than most of the other films combined (He punches a boxer's head off in one swing).
- •Friday the 13th Part V: A New BeginningThis one is frowned upon by fans because the killer is a Jason copycat and you don't even see Jason for the first hour. The reason I rank it high is because it tried something different and is slightly less by the numbers because it's not rooted in Jason mythology.
- •Friday the 13th Part IIIThe first film where Jason gets a hockey mask. Parts were shot in 3-D and that's always fun to watch in 2-D because the gimmick is so obvious in something this dated (like when a spear goes through an eye and it's launched at the screen).
- •Friday the 13th Part IIV: The New BloodThis one gets a higher ranking because there's telepathy involved. In the late 80s, most slasher films had some kind of psychic element (Halloween 5, Nightmare on Elm Street 5) and this film also includes the classic sleeping bag tree scene.
- •Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final ChapterCorey Feldman. Crispin Glover. Need I say more?
- •Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason LivesThe end of the Tommy Jarvis saga, but the first one where Jason was actually a zombie that was resurrected by supernatural means. Pretty ridiculous, but fun. Also, if they didn't unearth him, Jason would have actually stayed dead forever.
- •Jason XThe best "in space" slasher, but that's not saying much. There was actually a lot of potential here and it was only minimally explored. Plus, there's a David Cronenberg cameo and the upgraded future Jason looks cool.
- •Friday the 13thI'm actually not a fan of the original. It's not well made and poorly lit. And it's boring. The only thing it has going for it is the twist that the killer is middle aged woman.
- •Friday the 13th Part IIThis actually more boring and drab than the first one and Jason wears a sack over his head, dude just looks like a farmer gone mad.
- •Jason Goes to Hell: The Final FridayThis was the first entry under New Line Cinema, and they tried to rewrite the mythology into disastrous results. Also, one of Zac Efron's first appearances!