Already on li.st? Open in app.
Thanks @BWN_7 ! I immediately thought of two memories, and shockingly (not shockingly) they're both food related
- •My sister and I had the playskool plastic kitchen set up that I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. Fake knobs that made orange spirals turn under the burners, a teeny little sink, you get the picture.
- •My Dad is now my favorite guy in the world, but when we were little he was pretty scary. Long beard, short temper. Not very effusive or generous with hugs, but every once in a while he would surprise us.
- •I remember one Saturday morning being on the bottom bunk and seeing my dad come in holding a bunch of pans. He'd made breakfast and was putting it into our little plastic pans and pots. Scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast that we could pretend we had made on our own in our tiny fake kitchen.
- •Eating well
- •Keeping my house and car clean and organized
- •Losing weight
I've been a personal chef for one family for the last 8 years. I'm leaving next month, and their oldest is leaving for Copenhagen to study abroad. He wants to learn to cook a few simple and delicious meals, so immediately I thought of @gabimoskowitz and her gorgeous cast iron chicken and sweet potatoes.
- •Teaching him how to hold a knife was interesting. Watching him hold a wooden spatula as though it weighed one hundred pounds was hilarious. He's 6'5" and a boxer, which only added to the hilarity.
- •He dropped half of the sweet potatoes onto an unsuspecting Hubble, who didn't seem to mind
- •I snapped him cooking because he wouldn't let me take a picture to send his parents.
In general/ currently. Thanks @BWN_7 for this suggestion!
- •My plate. Growing up how we did, wasting food wasn't an option. I have a vivid memory of my dad taking pity on me and picking up this yellow castle bowl that I used for every meal and throwing out my steamed spinach while my mom was in the other room. I am eternally grateful for this.
- •Drinks. I'm the thirstiest person you'll ever meet. Best to keep an eye on your glass when I'm around👀
- •Laying the groundwork for a cookbook proposal. I need to turn the mile long list of recipes into categories, then narrow it down, actually write the recipes out, pepper in charming anecdotes, and make sure all food photos looks irresistibly gorgeous. I think sometimes when I'm scared that something won't go how I want it to, I hesitate.
I'm trying to work on my food photography.
- 1.Chicken pot pie. I can never seem to center the score marks.
- 2.Some lil crostini. Lil Crostini would likely be my stage name should the opportunity present itself.
- 3.Pumpkin soup. Everyone loves a demitasse.
Inspired by @zoe My sister isn't here anymore, but this list made me so happy. So thanks for the idea.
- 1.Standing on our little picnic table in the backyard and making bubbles with that giant wand mom gave us
- 2.Inventorying the fridge then writing a menu serving mom and dad from our restaurant
- 3.The first time we made a pact to tell each other just one of our Christmas gifts. We always told more
- •Waking up with warm feet. I always wiggle out of my socks while I'm sleeping.
- •The afternoon on the first full day of my birthday camp. We're all the perfect amount of drunk and equal parts lazy and energetic. Perfect for naps and volleyball.
- •Having the night to myself, ordering delivery, and having the perfect tv lineup
- 1.Most recent- my friend and I took this buzzfeed quiz to see which BFF food pairing we were. V telling.
- 2.This roast chicken I made last week at work. What a babe
- 3.Literal perfection
I feel like the most important thing to know is that my family uses a soup tureen instead of a gravy boat. Inspired by @bjnovak
- •Stuffing!We make it with spicy breakfast sausage.
- •Mashed potatoesMy uncle mike likes to pile them super high, Close Encounters-style. Feels low key suspect that for @bjnovak these don't even rank.
- •Green bean casseroleMy favorite dish at friends thanksgiving because my friend Jon makes them in a casserole with the recipe on the bottom that was his mothers.