THINGS PEOPLE OUGHT TO KNOW ABOUT MY FIRST JOB
I was supposed to wait tables at a restaurant in a hotel but I showed up on the first day and they told me I was going to manage the front desk as a 17 year old. The rest is history
- •On the first day they made me eat my lunch in the dark, windowless coat closet just to fuck with me
- •On my first day one of the waitresses was reprimanded (not fired) for doing lines of cocaine in the kitchen
- •Everything in the business was done without computers (room reservations, time cards, archives, credit card info, etc.) because the owner could not type and therefore refused to buy a computer for his business
- •More than half the staff turned over during the 3 months I worked there
- •The owner who was about 70 years old was married to his third wife who was in her 30s and together they had a 2 year old foster child who had one eyeThis was the biological child of one of the waitress who was eventually fired
- •They would sometimes decide that part of my job was to babysit this 2 year old. Other times they would allow him to roam freely around the dining room and kitchenBelieve me, if I were good enough with kids to babysit all summer I would not have been working this min wage job
- •For no particular reason my boss would not let me say "not a problem!" to the customers
- •Although I was technically not allowed to be behind the bar, the owner would request multiple times a day that I make him blueberry lemonade vodkas
- •The chef threw a raw hamburger at the owner's wife's face during a rambunctious argument and she called the cops during peak dinner hours.He called her a psychotic c*** in front of all the coustomers and the cops while he stormed out. There was apparently no infringement on the law.
- •My boss would sometimes spend the night in the empty hotel rooms and not tell me or housekeeping. Unfortunately I would then send people to check into their rooms and they would find it filled with an unmade bed and the personal effects of my boss.