Favorite Lines From "The Goldfinch"
- •...everything haloed and unstable without my glasses: hands on each other, rough and fast, kicked-over beers foaming on the carpetWhy will the image of that beer haunt me until I die? Who's to say
- •...I was worried that my exorbitant drug use had damaged my brain and my nervous system and maybe even my soul in some irreparable and perhaps not readily apparent wayThe core ideology of the Sunday Scaries
- •...If your deepest self is singing and coaxing you straight toward the bonfire, is it better to turn away? Stop your ears with wax? Ignore all the perverse glory your heart is screaming at you? Set yourself on the course that will lead you dutifully towards the norm, reasonable hours and regular medical check-ups,stable relationships and steady career advancement the New York Times and brunch on Sunday, all with the promise of being somehow a better person? Or...is it better to throw yourself head first and laughing into the holy rage calling your name?
- •What if our badness and mistakes are the very thing that set our fate and bring us round to good? What if, for some of us, we can’t get there any other way?
- •I saw the creature he really was and he, I believe, saw me. For an instant we were wired together and humming, like two engines on the same circuit.