BOOKS THAT ROCKED YOU LIKE A HURRICANE
These books kept your head spinning from start to finish, perhaps with the occasional heart murmur and twisted gut.
- •Blood Meridian or The Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthyI only made it about five pages before I had to put it down for a few days and adapt to the cold and cruel world of the 1850s lawless west. Despite the effort, I never could shake the grotesque feeling of voyeurism in that violent, violent world. The book is brilliant and blew me away, but I had a knot in my stomach the whole time.
- •Walk Two Moons by Sharon CreechOK, try not to judge me. I read a lot. Rarely does a book surprise me. This is the only YA book to do so. I read YA books because I am a teacher and I am always looking for books to recommend to students. The raw emotion in this book rocked me to my core. I have read it at least 6 times and I still have to stop because I sob.Suggested by @ljsee
- •We Were Liars by E. LockhartAnother YA suggestion.... Don't spoil it for yourself. The end is a total shock.Suggested by @jenward
- •The New York Trilogy by Paul AusterEndlessly compelling and intriguing.Suggested by @MatthewAlmont
- •House of leaves by Mark DanielewskiReconceptualized "modern" and "thriller". A Superb ten year effort resulting in a magnus opusSuggested by @isabelashe
- •Come to the Edge by Christina HaagRomantic and heartbreaking and glamorous and beautifully written.Suggested by @bookishclaire
- •The Wrath & the Dawn, by Renée AhdiehGorgeous. Luscious. Romantic. Clever. Brilliant. There are not enough adjectives...Suggested by @srsharms
- •Disgrace, by JM Coetzee. It's so fucked up, but in this perfectly human way.Suggested by @anniebanannie