Middle names, and the reason for them
add you middle name, if you like it or not, and tell us how you got that name.
- •AnnAll of the first girls in my family have Ann as their middle name for many generations. *Side note when I was younger I thought it was and for way longer than I should. I've never been fond of it.
- •LynnMy mom wanted a shortened version of her sister's name, Linda. She and her sister were super close and my parents both knew my aunt would be like a second mother to me once I was born. They decided on Lynn ☺️Suggested by @taylormorley
- •ElizabethThere was someone in my family with the name Elizabeth but I can't say exactly who because I never met her. I like it a lot now even though it makes my name even more common than it already is.Suggested by @sarahsmith4
- •MitchellI don't know the exact origin or decision for my middle name, but if I had to guess... It was an inside joke, an excuse more so, to make my initials BMW. Yes, like the car. The joke didn't last inside for very long.Suggested by @BrentMWiggins
- •ElyseMy sister's middle name is Elizabeth because it was my mom's middle name (before she got married and changed it) because it's my mom's grandmother's name. Elise is Elizabeth in French, so my mom chose it so that I wouldn't be left out of the family name. And then she changed it to Elyse to be different, and because my dad's middle name is Bryan, spelled with a y instead of an I.Suggested by @lexie_elyse
- •EileenAfter my auntie/godmotherSuggested by @torrami
- •My two sisters and I have the middle names Carol, Diane and Marie. No idea why. It's not something we ever asked our parents. I think they were trying to be as English/Canadian as possible as they both came from immigrant families and just wanted to fit in.My mom has the same sort of name and my dad was named after his dad and his dad's family who were Scottish.Suggested by @solitarygigi
- •BellaBella means "beautiful" in Spanish. I'm still coming around to itSuggested by @analyce
- •Raquel. It's my grandmother and my aunt's name.Literally until I was 18 I assumed I'd been named after my aunt and I was so excited because she was the cool aunt. I asked my mother about this and she said, "No, idiot, I named you after Grandma. It never even occurred to me that Raquel was my sister's name until you said it just now."Suggested by @samala