Allston-Brighton, Boston, Massachusetts
An ode to my hood
- •I have lived in Allston-Brighton, a Boston neighborhood, for about seven years.West of the city center but still technically "Boston proper," this is now my home, and the only place I have ever lived as an adult.
- •It is a weird place.Allston Brighton (or Allston, or Brighton, depending where you are) is known as a melting pot of Asian and South American immigrants, hipsters drinking at The Great Scott, frat boys and their ilk, and yuppies who need access to the Green line.
- •The first time I ever visited Boston, a college friend invited me out to her apartment in Brighton. On the T ride in, I remember thinking, "Wow, I thought this city was so nice and now this place is such a shithole."Coincidentally, I remember where I was when I had that thought, and it's the exact same block where I now live.
- •David Foster Wallace set Infinite Jest in Brighton, but called it "Infield."He famously describes the neighborhood as "pretty unpleasant."
- •Parts of the novel take place at a methodone clinic that is actually on the same street as my apartment.Also on our block: a housing project and a Whole Foods. You should see the people at my bus stop.
- •The members of Aerosmith also got their start in Allston.So there's that.
- •Allston-Brighton is home to Boston University and Boston College, famous rivals. The former is my grad school alma mater.Here I am before teaching aged me exponentially.
- •I still go to BU once a week for my aerial silks class. This is a crossback straddle!Wheeeee!
- •My favorite thing about my neighborhood is that there are seemingly thousands of different cuisines within walking distance.🍕🌮🍔🍟🥘🥙🌯🍲🍜🍱🍝
- •My least favorite thing is the rats.All those restaurants mean dumpsters, which means soooo many 🐀🐀🐀. Luckily, I have a 🐈, a natural form of pest control. However, my cat can't get rid of my talkative alcoholic neighbor, which is also a staple of Allston and included in every lease.
- •"Allston Christmas" occurs every year on September 1 when thousands of college students move apartments and dump their old furniture on the sidewalk.Fun fact: I slept on a mattress found on Allston Christmas for three years.
- •The medium price of a one bedroom apartment is $1700.This is about what I pay. It's brutal. The college students drive up the price.
- •I've thought about leaving a million times, but then I realize there's no where else for me.There's traffic, and trash, and the B line. But there are also people I love, a city with a pulse and eccentric soul, and Wingz Express.
- •Allston-Brighton, I love you.Never change. 💛