SKID ROW FAVES
I work with people dealing with homelessness in LA on the daily and @Debby requested a list of some of my favs. I love what I get to do, and I get to know and love on some of the most amazing people that have lived through some really terrible circumstances. These are just a fraction of some of the people that have impacted me!
- •MS. DORISThis woman. My favorite story teller. She has claimed territory on the same corner for I don't even know how many years. She is beautiful and wise and when asked, says that she's there because she's petitioning. She is one of the most welcoming humans I know, and loves having her nails painted.
- •SOLDIER/SECURITY/DARRELGoofy as heck, but very protective. Very proud of his two daughters, one who passed away a few years ago in a car accident with her mother, who he was in love with. Any time anyone has ever been threatening to me in any way in his presence, he steps in between. He takes care of his friend and always is down to chat about life. Also I received a text from him on Christmas Eve that said "happy Christmas Eve, my treasure! We miss you and love you and Mamma and Khadibou say hi!!"
- •KHADIBAOUSoldier's dog!!! Such a handsome boy. All the people that take care of him are men, and he is so rowdy and misbehaved. So sometimes if I have some time I go get him and walk him, and for some reason he responds really well to me. He's really skittish and on edge usually for the first 5 minutes of our walk. When I graduate in June I'm hoping I'll be able to steal him. He's scary looking but my heart is pretty much sold.
- •KING GEORGENo photo of this guy, but he's one of the first people I became close with. This man is 76, and has been on skid row since 1972. He has never done drugs and doesn't drink, and is HIGHLY respected. I've been sitting in the empty chair he usually has across from him several times when a young person will come, and he'll give them a few dollars and they come back with food. He gives great advice, and tells me all the time that I "better not be having any babies until I get older, or get a husband."
- •WADENo photos, because he's literally on the run. I wish I could say why! Since I can't, here's a picture of his cat, Panther. Anyways, he is hilarious, and very smart. He is actually considering going into a program because he wants to change some of the very dark things he sees around him on the streets. He's stuck in a bad situation, but he's not a bad man. I have lots of hope for his future, and I hope he does too.
- •Another pic of Khadibou because.... So handsome