Reasons Why the Best Comedy/musical Film Golden Globe Needs to Stop Existing
Stop the madness. Please.
- •A movie can make you laugh and not be a comedySee: dark comedies, black comedies, dramatic films with a comic relief. The Social Network made me laugh several times. Does that make it a comedy?
- •Why are some dramas funny enough to be comedies and others aren't?I would really love to see the debate on this actually. A bunch of guys in a room yelling that that one scene in the Martian means it's comedy of the year.
- •Not all musicals are comediesSee: Les Miserbles. I'd even argue Into the Woods isn't, at its heart, a comedic musical.
- •Unfunny musicals then have an advantageBecause come on, it's not fair judging the tears Les Mis made you cry against the tears Moonrise Kingdom did.
- •In fact, many comedy-but-not-comedy movies then get an advantageWe all already know that Spy or Trainwreck probably won't take home the big award. Why? Because how can a comedy like Bridesmaids (raunchy) win against a "comedy" like The Artist? The deck automatically gets stacked in the more artsy, mellow movie's favor.
- •So for the love of movies and sanity, get rid of this ridiculous categoryDo what the Oscars do - nominate more best films. Because if movies like Salmon Fishing in Yemen are that good, you'll nominate them for best film without the comedy/drama differentiation. And if they're not? We don't have to watch people praise The Tourist or Burlesque throughout a fifty hour award show.