I HATE THE WORD FLATTERING — HERE'S WHY:
- •It's a backhanded compliment
- •Being told "wow, that dress is so flattering" really means "wow, that dress makes you look less fat!"
- •It means:I didn't think your overweight frame could handle anything other than jeans and a sweatshirt, but you're really pulling it off!
- •Would you tell Selena Gomez her Grammy's dress looked "so flattering?"No! You'd probably say she looks beautiful, classy, or sexy.
- •Would you tell Amy Schumer her Emmy's dress looked "so flattering?"Yeah, you might, because she's not a size zero and therefore not worth any genuine praise. (P.S. I'm sorry Amy is always used as an example in these situations, she's beautiful and talented and hilarious)
- •"Flattering" is just another way to put plus-sized women (or any woman above a size 2) down.
- •So next time your size 8 Aunt Ruth rocks a cute maxi dressTell her she looks fucking sexy!!