Can We Take a Second to Talk About Dexter and Debra Morgan?
- •So I love the show Dexter.I could literally talk about it for hours. I get very riled up and very emotional about the show and its characters.
- •Specifically I love Debra Morgan.Deb is one of my favorite TV characters of all time. I've gotten into shouting matches with some of my friends who say that she tries too hard to be a badass. Wrong. Deb is a badass.
- •In the beginning of the show (which I binged watch on Netflix in a little over a month), I thought Deb and Dex had chemistry.But that would be weird, right? They're brother and sister--though not biologically related. I soon found out they got married in real life, and just assumed that's where that killer chemistry came from.
- •But then ~spoiler alert~ Rita died😭😭😭😭
- •And then two seasons later, Deb discovered in therapy that she loved Dex.😶😶😶
- •But then she found out he was a serial killer, and I thought that was the end of that.But I was wrong.
- •Then midway through Season 7, Deb emotionally confesses her feelings to him.My jaw dropped.
- •This storyline slowly faded away.Contrary to most, I didn't mind that storyline, but I understood why it couldn't be and why the writers moved away from it.
- •But this storyline fading away doesn't detract from these two characters' chemistry.
- •Personally I think Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter are at their best when they're on screen together.Especially when it's just the two of them on screen together and especially in Season 7 and 8. It's like watching them spar or play a really intense round of ping-pong (weird analogy, I know). They just spit out their lines back and forth, back and forth with such passion. It's so exciting to watch.
- •Also, aside from the actors, the relationship between these characters is so twisted and beautiful.It's so complicated and messy, but that's what makes it so great. Dexter says from episode 1 that ~if~ he could love anyone, it'd be Deb. And then eventually he realizes he does love her. He loves her so much that ~SPOILER ALERT~ after Deb dies (😭😭😭😭😭😭) he goes into self-imposed exile. And Deb loves Dex so much that she compromises who she is for him. Now, I'm not saying that's a good thing, but for the purpose of a TV show, it's awesome.
- •So basically, my love for these twisted foster siblings runs really deep.
- •And if anyone ever wants to talk to me about Dexter, I will gladly oblige.