Dear Lord, Teach Me to Love the Unlovable
A prayer that I'm sure almost all of us—believers and non-believers—understand.
- •The violence and hatred in this world is despicable.Right now, I keep on coming in contact with stories only a degree or two away from me of people who have had their lives destroyed by violence and hate.
- •As a pacifist and as a Christian, I believe in loving everyone.I believe even the worst among us have dignity, and I don't believe in the death penalty.
- •But I keep on hearing these awful stories.Last year an acquaintance of mine's father and brother were shot in cold blood inside their house. Last week a CNA I worked with was killed by a drunk driver who is likely to get away with it because he is politically connected. A few days ago, a girl that many of my friends knew was brutally stabbed to death over a thousand dollars at the fast food place she worked out.
- •Let's not forget all of the terrorists who shoot up movie theaters, night clubs, schools, etc.
- •How, Lord, am I supposed to not wish them a miserable life?How am I supposed to not want them dead?
- •How can I not be filled with such hate and anger?
- •I know I'm supposed to believe that as a human being, people have inherent dignity that cannot be taken away.But when they take away someone else's dignity away by brutally cutting a life short, how can I see them as a person and not monster?
- •Dear Lord, this is something I truly struggle with.I want to rise above. I want to be the better person.
- •It's just so hard. 😔
- •So, I ask all of you, if you pray, please pray for my heart.And if you don't pray, I'd appreciate any advice you could give me to conquer this anger.
- •(I know this list was somewhat all over the place; it's just been on my mind.)