Foods I'm Going to Miss Most While on My Trial Gluten Free Diet
My gastroenterologist has put me on a 6 month trial gluten-free diet. These are the foods I will miss most.
- •Soy sauceI had no idea soy sauce had gluten in it! This is honestly the food item I'm most upset about as I eat a lot of Chinese and Japanese food. Fortunately, they do make gluten free soy sauce, but I'm not sure I can take that to restaurants with me...
- •My grandmother's cakes and piesMy grandmother grew up in a bakery and her desserts are just short of being on the professional level. She has said she's going to experiment with gluten free cakes and pies, but it won't be quite the same.
- •Snowcrab rollsApparently the snowcrab has some preservative in it that has gluten. This makes me sad.
- •BeerBeer is usually my go to alcoholic drink when I go out. It's cheap, easy to order, and I can usually have a few without getting drunk. I'm very bummed about this one.
- •King CakeI'm a New Orleans girl. I've lived here my whole life and couldn't even begin to estimate the number of king cakes I've had in my life time. Carnival season will be here in less than a month and I'll be surrounded my king cakes that I can't eat.
- •Fast food friesWhile potatoes are allowed, fast food fries are not recommended. This is due to the fact that the fries are likely cooked in the same fryer as some of the foods that do have gluten.