Reasons Why Everyone Should Experience Mardi Gras 💜💚💛
- •It's an all day, multiple day partyFor example, this Sunday (Bacchus Sunday), my friends & I are getting uptown at 7:30am. Parades start around 11 and basically go all day. We bring food and liquor, and we stay out all day. The pic is from last Bacchus Sunday with my best friend.
- •Contrary to popular belief, it's family friendly.Unless you decide to catch the parade on Bourbon Street, you're likely to not see any flashing. There are plenty of throws specifically for kids as well. Many parents even bring out special ladders, so that their kids are visible to the high floats.
- •St. Augustine Marching BandAs I've gotten older, St. Aug's Marching 100 have become one of my favorite parts of Mardi Gras. These kids march in an insane amount of parades during the season, and they are SO GOOD.
- •The floatsEach year, the floats seem to get more extravagant. They are a sight to see all on their own.
- •We get famous people to ride!Many of the "super krewes" get famous actors, singers, and athletes to be the Captain, King/Queen, or honorary member of their parades. This year Solange Knowles was in Muses, an all women parade, and Anthony Mackie will be in Bacchus. Other famous people include Will Ferrell, Michael Keaton, Elijah Wood, Mariska Hargitay, Sandra Bullock, Whoopi Goldberg, and Quentin Tarantino.
- •The throwsMany parades have their own unique throws, aside from beads and doubloons. For instance, Zulu, on the krewes on Mardi Gras day, throws iconic coconuts. Another all women krewe, Nyx, throws specially designed purses.
- •I could go on and on about all the little things that make Mardi Gras special, but these are the main ones! Now, I'll leave you with this adorable picture of me from back in the day.