STUFF I LEARNED FROM THE HBO FRANK SINATRA DOC
Its 4 hours long and I really enjoyed it. If you dont have the time to watch, here are your Sinatra Cliff Notes
- •Frank was an only child
- •Frank was a teen idol and blew through $11 million in the 1940's before going broke!
- •His Columbia Records years weren't so great.
- •After bottoming out, he sang better. He made his famous Capitol recordings in the early 1950's and had the swagger and bravado of a man who had been through the ringer and now understood the heartbreak in the songs he was singing.
- •His version of "New York New York" wasnt released until... 1980(!!!!)
- •His son Frank Sinatra Jr was kidnapped by an old classmate who had fallen on hard times and gone crazy.
- •He and the Rat Pack are often credited with saving Las Vegas. Before they set up shop and did nightly shows, the city was going broke.
- •He was almost 50 when he married Mia Farrow. She was 21.
- •He was a lifelong Democrat who campaigned extensively for FDR and JFK. ...Until he was slighted by the Kennedy family. He campaigned for Nixon and Reagan after that.
- •The whole JFK assassination theory about the mob comes from the fact that Sinatra got his mobster friends to help JFK win the election. The mob thought that as a result JFK would be mob-friendly, but then he appointed Bobby as attorney general, who cracked down on organized crime. They were PISSED.Ashamed to say I knew nothing about this before watching this doc. I always assumed that blaming the mob for the JFK assassination was just random, because you could hypothetically blame the mob for almost anything.Suggested by @maya