LOVELY & CHEAP L.A. CHEESEBURGERS
Sure, there are plenty of excellent burger places in Los Angeles to spend $10-20 on one's lunch, but I think the cheap spots grilling up Ron Swanson quality industrial meat & American cheese often turn out some of my favorite cheeseburgers of all, most under $5.
- •Yuca's on Hillhurst in Los Feliz - This James Beard recognized taco shack makes marvelous cochinita pibil tortas but I always get one of their charred hockey puck cheeseburgers which is like a better version of what I'd eat at cookouts growing up.
- •Capitol Burgers - A rusted dilapidated shack on a sad stretch of Pico Blvd turns out thin patties dressed with melted yellow cheesefoodproduct housed in a king-size bun that collapses in your hands as you try to eat it. The chili cheese fries are a heaping greasy mound of self-destruction and gluttony. #AmericaFYeah
- •Super Burger in Altadena - This looks like a prototypical old school L.A. mediocre fast food joint. The thick tasty burger patty more than makes up for the lackluster cheese. Surprisingly good, albeit messy. Then I hit up Carmela Ice Cream or Bulgarini Gelato for dessert. Then I crawl into bed and hibernate 'til spring.
- •Bill & Hiroko's in Van Nuys - Simple little burgers. I usually order a double cheeseburger topped with a runny fried egg and always find it to be perfectly seasoned. Bill has been grilling burgers for 50 years and has his griddle game down.
- •Irv's Burgers in West Hollywood - While the cheeseburger may not be super special, it's fine and often has the nice texture of a smashed burger. But the real magic here is when your burger arrives and drawn on your paper plate is a handwritten greeting and a Sharpie'd doodle (often a portrait of you). As kawaii as a burger shack can get.