THE ADVICE I WOULD GIVE MY 16 YEAR OLD SELF
From the wonderful @marginally_amazing Simply, the best.
- •1. You don't have to be like anyone else.You should just be yourself. People will like you just for who you are.
- •2. Just because you aren't rich, or don't have a nice car like some of the other kids doesn't mean you are "lame".Those people to which you are referring become humorless dicks in the future.
- •3. You'll make the choice to avoid putting Mom and Dad through financial ruin by going to Stanford, and having two kids in Ivy League schools.You'll go to the University of Oregon, and you will never regret it. In fact, you will love it.
- •4. Yes...you will be happy.It won't be easy, but it will be yours...hard-fought and won. And, you can live with that.
- •5. You won't feel ugly, or broke, or stupid around girls.You will rely on your good qualities, and be charming, witty, and intelligent...and, believe me, you will do just fine in that category.
- •6. You will do exactly what you believed that you would do with your education.The people that mocked those dreams? Gone.
- •7. You will value the real friendships that matter, and not the vacuous, meaningless relationships that you felt were more important.Those people? They're miserable. The good ones? You see them almost every day.
- •8. You will make choices...hard ones, easy ones...but, they will be yours. You will have authenticity.The consequences will be yours as well. Again, authentic, and truly by your hand.
- •9. Your education should, and must, be yours...and that doesn't come from a textbook.You'll see castles built in the 10th century next to a McDonald's, the Bayueax Tapestry, a Gutenberg Bible, the lyrics from "Yesterday", the laugh of a beautiful woman, the death of your parents, the hard truth that will set upon your heart like a brutal sunrise, the smooth wood surface of the bar, and the eyes of the woman you will call your bride. That doesn't come from school, kid.
- •10. Jar-Jar Binks is simply the single worst idea ever conceived.There's nothing more to add.
- •11. When you think that things are bad right now, they are not. They will get better. I promise.