Things We Did for Fun in Newport News VA
1970's and 80's
- •Climbed trees
- •Swam in the neighborhood poolWhen I wasn't scraping the skin off my knees falling off my bike in the parking lot
- •Dared each other to explore the storm drain in the parkThen learned to avoid the park when it became the place for drug deals
- •StargazingMenchville High football field.
- •Got into fights at the bus stopJust the twice. Not counting the time the bus driver pulled over so we could all watch the bully get his butt handed to him (not by me, sadly).
- •Learned to cuss in the after school programYes, I remember the first swear words I ever said. They included several anatomical impossibilities.
- •Caught fireflies
- •Lost stormtrooper action figures in the snow fort we built that one winter it snowed
- •Rode bikes everywhere
- •Went for long walks around the neighborhood
- •Played truth or dare
- •Saturday morning cartoons