Pop Culture and My High School Experience (2003-2007)
The #brexit vote on Friday has resulted in a lot of chaos and worry. No one really knows what's happening in the future, so I've delved into my past for a bit of nostalgia. Inspired by @lizabeth
- •MySpaceThe gossip, the drama, the stress of selecting your perfect song and profile pic and the ever changing top 8 friends.
- •iPodMy best friend and I would share headphones and walk in sync to school. He'd burn me CDs with beautifully drawn covers so we "had better music to listen to". 😂
- •MsnCurating the perfectly vague yet intriguing status to start conversations with boys. Telling your friends brb/gtg when you had to shower or eat dinner. Rehashing all the gossip from school that day and flirting with boys online that never really spoke to you IRL.
- •Avril LavigneI danced ballet and because of Sk8er Boi, my friends decided we all needed to learn how to skate so I could find a boy.👌
- •Harry PotterEVERYONE was obsessed with these books but I'd read them young (too early) and got scared when RPat died. (Spoiler alert?) Only got back into them when I was meant to be studying for my final exams and suddenly, really needed to know if Ron and Hermione got together.
- •The OCWe watched this recently and were surprised at the amount of drug use that we didn't remember. 😂 I loved Seth and grew to love Summer, and was convinced my mum was Julie Cooper trying to ruin my life.
- •Phantom of the OperaThe movie came out and we were OBSESSED with the songs. We had a lunch table in between the library and the main caf (so high traffic) and we'd stand on the table and sing the songs as loud as possible. IDEK
- •Doctor WhoMy friends loved this show and told me about each episode. I never watched it but I listened to their stories and Blink freaked the hell out of me. I'm still a bit wary of statues.
- •Queer eye for the straight guyI loved this show for the makeovers. I had no idea why it had to be straight guys, like, I wanted a makeover, but I loved it.
- •Mean girlsSuch a quotable movie but made us all thankful our school was nothing like that.
- •FanfictionMy friend printed them out and used to read them in class and after months of pestering finally stopped hiding it and explained what it was to me.
- •GreaseI FORCED my friends to watch this every sleepover we had (and we had a LOT of sleepovers). I personally have no idea how my dad didn't go crazy hearing this for the five thousandth time.
- •Van HelsingI watched it recently and it's pretty bad, but we LOVED this movie. Maybe it was just Hugh Jackman. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- •Continuum - John MayerThis came out when we were all getting our licences and I can't really listen to this CD anymore unfortunately.
- •SingstarBasically the only reason we had a PlayStation. This would come out every party, sleepover, hang out, sometimes after a study session.