INSTRUMENTS I CAN PLAY
When I was 5, I taught myself to play the Close Encounters Of the Third Kind "spaceship summoning melody" on an electronic keyboard. That was the beginning of learning a lot of instruments.
- •ClarinetI was 6 and only played in for two months, but if I tried it again, I could probably honk out a melody.
- •Casio KeyboardRemember the song it played when you hit "demo?"
- •ViolinYitzchak Perlman was on Sesame Street performing Bach's something-or-other and I was hooked. Played for four years. Never practiced. Still, I was pretty good.
- •HarmonicaBought at a toy store in Madison, WI. According to apocryphal testimony (my mother) I could play "Oh, Suzanna" by the time we made it back to the hotel.
- •GuitarMy first, true, instrument love. Learned to play cock-rock (AC/DC) then fingerstyle, zydeco, jazz, blues, Barenaked Ladies covers, Wierd Al Yankovic, camp songs, wrote 10 songs, studied classical, did musical comedy. Now, guitar mostly leans against the wall. Most often played for high school audience in faculty talent shows and the like.
- •LuteYeah, weird. Baroque lute has 23 strings and needs tuning every 23 seconds. That lasted a year.
- •DrumsIf guitar was my first, true, head-over-heels musical love, drums are my second, wiser marriage. It allowed me to do what I really wanted to do: lose myself in music and not worry so much. Played with a few students just today!
- •Hand drum: jimbe, dumbek, etc.I teach people to play these and I appreciate that a hand drum is more available than a drum set. Honestly, I can inadvertently turn any object im holding into a hand drum. At times, it can be annoying to my friends and loved ones.
- •SuitcaseUsed it as a bass drum while busking, a few crazy summers back when I was a lad. There was also a coffee can and metal mixing bowl attached.
- •Jaw harpYou can only do two things with a jaw harp. I can do them both. (play fast / play slow)
- •Bass guitarSometimes, fun to play it because the bass player is the funkiest dude in the room when the music finds the groove.
- •PianoA few songs. One original...some Beatles.
- •PandeiroLike a tambourine but weighs double and hurts the hand until you become a pandeiro badass. I was that for a while. Was a Capoeira Angola thing.
- •Wash tub bassNo comment
- •Garage band//youtu.be/yyu6b7e-xMMWrote this song to celebrate my best friend's little boy's made up vocabulary. All the instruments are me...but none of them are actually instruments. Wierd thing, digital music...