Books I Would Like to Live In
Thanks for the request @ChrisK
- •The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings.I love this book because it brings me back to Hawaii. I lived there for six years and it has such a special place in my heart. To feel the warm trade winds is like a kiss from the planet. I also love this book because it reminds me how easy it is to lose your way in life, to wake up and think, what the hell did I do? Getting lost in life and finding your way back. It isn't always pretty but it can be beautiful.
- •The Lord of the Rings by J. R.R. TolkienWho doesn't like a grand adventure? I read this every year.
- •The Harry Potter series by J.K. RowlingAnother great adventure. I get lost in these books. I've enjoyed sharing the adventures with my children. This series transcends any age recommendations.
- •The Ruins of Us by Keija ParssinenThe way Keija Parssinen describes Saudi Arabia made me feel like I was there. I could feel the beauty of the place. The cause and effect of the husbands infidelity was spot on. I think when a person crosses certain lines they cannot bring back what they had, no matter how much they regret it. I thought it was a beautiful novel.
- •You Are Not Your Pain by Vidyamala Burch & Danny PenmanA self help book about dealing with chronic pain. I had surgery on my back three years ago and my nerves got caught up in my scar tissue. When I read this book, I honestly thought they had looked into my mind. The concept is the pain is like getting hit with one arrow and all of the other stuff that comes along with chronic pain (fear, depression, anger, anxiety) is like getting hit by a second arrow. I'm learning how to focus on the first arrow and be mindful. It has honestly been helpful.