Some non-technical thoughts after a first watch....Also, soz if you see a spoiler but we're talking about something released over 6 months ago.
- •Firstly, Cape Towwwwwn!!!!!The fictional town of San Junipero is, in fact, not in California. Heaven is in Africa y'all.
- •Secondly, hellll noThis might have seemed like the only Black Mirror episode with a happy ending but it still felt pretty dystopian to me.
- •When I suspend my disbelief (aka have faith) and try to conceive of heaven, it's mostly a place where it's socially okay to nap & snack all the time & see instagram -worthy things for free without instagram actually existing...
- •Anywho, I find heaven and hell to be quite difficult concepts to grasp. The first seems ultimately boring, tiring & weirdly counter-intuitive in general and the second is just plain unfair, amirite?
- •If San Junipero is a place for any whim a person might have, it's limited to what people can come up with. Yawn.And what do people even talk about in heaven? I mean seriously. Half of us on this app are introverts or ambiverts. Can you imagine...
- •What does the Quagmire symbolize if not dissatisfaction with heaven?Discuss. Or not.
- •Symbolism aside, I've seen more convincing gay couples on screen before. I just wasn't sold on Kelly & Yorkie's love being powerful enough for them to literally live happily ever after.
- •This was an interesting, atmospheric & aesthetically beautiful (yay Cape Town!) episode of television. But it just didn't affect me in the magical way I'd hoped it would.
- •PS Am I the only person who wants death to be peaceful sleep? I realize the prospect of not seeing people we love ever again is scary but how bout we leave being 3000+ years old to the elves in LOTR.... :/For real though, I'd sip from the fountain of youth if I could stay young in body and mind for a finite amount of time but defintely not to be soul-stretchingly immortal.
- •Sorry if this list is bumming anyone out but y'all can blame Black Mirror for the philosophical fodder & subsequent existential crises :)
- •I'm also interested in various people's/cultures thoughts about the afterlife if anyone needs Listpiration+.