Why you should see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Sorry I've been gone so long. Miss u guys
- •On Tuesday night, I had the opportunity to see an early screening of Fantastic Beasts with my mom in Seattle.It was something to do with University of Washington alumni network, of which my mother is a dedicated member.
- •I'm not gonna lie to you, I did not have high expectations for this movie.Y'all know I'm a Potterhead till I die, but I assumed this would just be a desperate fan service kind of thing.
- •But I was BLOWN. AWAY.Me in the theater.
- •If you don't already know, FBAWTFT is a prequel.It takes place in New York 1926, 65 years before Harry Potter arrives at Hogwarts.
- •The cast is absolutely perfect, and the costume design is flawless.I literally felt like I was in the 20s. Eddie Redmayne is more lovable than ever. Though he does mumble a bit, so pay attention. ALSO, lots of plot-central strong female characters, so there's that.
- •The special effects are quite literally MAGICAL.Like imagine the first HP movie if it had the effects of the last two. Now translate that to the 1920s, and add a bunch of amazingly detailed creatures we have never seen before.
- •There's more politics and discrimination between the magical and non-magical than we thought.Which is more relevant than ever, with this garbage fire election.
- •The "beasts" have big personalitiesThey add a lot of great comedic moments to balance out the dramatic aspects of the film.
- •Since it's a new story, you won't be mentally comparing it to the book version the whole time.Yeah, I'm a snob. HP books are better than the movies (for the most part). But in this case, I could just sit back and relax. And ENJOY.
- •Bonus: it has a great score!Currently listening to it @ work 😎
- •So if you're on the fence about this movie, just forget your inhibitions and fucking see it.
- •You won't regret it, I promise.