📚 BOOKS FOR HALLOWEEN MOOD 🎃👻💀
I've been a horror fan since elementary school when I read Goosebumps series. Here's a collection of some of my favorite adult options that have made me sleep with lights on! Happy reading
- •Anything by Stephen KingAn obvious choice but with over 50 novels it's hard to know where to start. My personal favorites: Nightshift - collection of short stories; Pet Sematary - makes losing a loved one so much worse; Carrie - the book's ending is so epic (and the movie is great)
- •Bird Box by Josh MalermanSomething is so horrifying that people lose there sanity after seeing it and become violent. Quiet and suspenseful - not a lot of graphic violence.
- •Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonPerfect haunted house story - don't be fooled by all the horrible movie versions!
- •We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley JacksonTwo sisters live in reclusion in their mansion home after all the other family members are poisoned. Their routine is upset when a cousin comes to visit. Another great unreliable narrator and beautifully written
- •American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis***ALL of the trigger warnings*** The unreliable narcissistic narrator is horrible and I still don't know what to believe with this book!
- •Dracula by Bram StokerWhere so many vampire tropes started! There are also plenty of scenes that can be read as dirty.
- •Graphic novel: Locke & Keye by Joe HillAnother haunted house spin with doors that transform those who walk through them. Also audible has a FREE version through Nov 4th
- •Strangers on a Train by Patricia HighsmithAlso a great Hitchcock film. Two strangers jokingly talk about swapping murders to get away with the crime. Unfortunately one of them takes it seriously
- •Stepford Wives by Ira LevinSuspenseful satire in slim novel. So smart and creepy