😳🔫 Why You Should Be Binge Watching Marvel's Jessica Jones
Netflix just released a new Marvel series called Jessica Jones. It stars Krysten Ritter as an unlikely hero in Hell’s Kitchen, New York City. She briefly tries her hand at fighting crime, but it ends tragically. Since then she has been living with a bad case of PTSD, focusing on her private investigation business and using her abilities for good.
- •Not your average super hero seriesJessica Jones is the super hero series we never knew we needed. The powers she possesses are extraordinary, yet understated and aren’t nearly the most interesting thing about her. More than anything, Jessica Jones is a crime drama; she just happens to have powers. It’s quite unlike any other super hero narrative that has come before.
- •Best thing Marvel has ever producedThough it takes place in the same Marvel Universe as the Avengers, it barely pays homage and puts the previous films to shame. It doesn’t follow the same cookie cutter origin story, nor does it use the allure of super human abilities as a crutch. Instead, it delves into a dark character study of a survivor and her struggle to find some sense of normalcy.
- •Krysten Ritter's PerformanceYou may know Krysten Ritter as the lead in Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23 or Jesse Pinkman’s burn out girlfriend in Breaking Bad, but believe me, she is a talent to be reckoned with. Her portrayal of Jessica Jones is down right impressive. Ritter grabs our attention immediately with her devil-may-care attitude and relentless alcoholism, but just when we think nothing can phase her, she introduces us to her much guarded vulnerable side through a series of chilling experiences and flash backs
- •Directed towards adultsWhile Krysten Ritter’s performance is quite remarkable, what makes Jessica Jones a truly unique super hero series is the fact it’s directed towards adults, not children. Like most things Netflix releases, there is very little censorship. It isn’t jammed packed full of special effects and cheesy one liners, instead it relies on drama and quality writing.
- •UncensoredAs I’ve said previously, for a series to be relatable and realistic, it cannot be filtered. If super powers existed, it wouldn’t be all laughs and swinging from buildings. Things would get seriously dark and twisted. Jessica Jones shows us just that.
- •Great for Marvel Fans and Film Connoisseurs alikeI recommend Jessica Jones to Marvel fans and film connoisseurs alike. It’s the first well written, thought provoking super hero narrative in the Marvel Universe. Even if you’ve hated everything they have created previously, you may very well love this. It’s dark, it’s gritty and is sure to leave you in shock. Check out the trailer below and click the link to get your binge: http://complimentarycritic.com/jessica-jones/
- •Get your binge onCheck out the full review, trailer and instant streaming links at Complimentary Critic: http://complimentarycritic.com/jessica-jones/