Top 10 Books That Were Required Reading in My High School
In order of how much I love them
- 1.The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot DiazJunot Diaz is amazing and the characters in this book are hysterical. Also very funny hearing my teacher yell fuck repeatedly when reading passages out loud. Cons: hearing him read sex scenes out loud made everyone was mildly uncomfortable. My favorite contemporary author.
- 2.The Sound and the Fury by William FaulknerThis is one of my favorite books period. The characters are impeccably done and I hope one day I can create characters like that.
- 3.The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldClassic.
- 4.Crime and Punishment by Fyodor DostoyevskyLong winded and dorky but I made a movie trailer project for this book that I really liked.
- 5.The Awakening by Kate ChopinChopin rocks my socks.
- 6.Romeo and Juliet by William ShakespearePros: I was chosen to read for Juliet in the first encounter and death scene. Cons: My teacher played Romeo in both scenes with me.
- 7.Beloved by Toni MorrisonAmazing writing. Amazing plot.
- 8.Animal Farm by George OrwellMy teacher made a rap about the pigs in this book to the tune of Power by Kanye West.
- 9.Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa LahiriThis book was taught to us by our Midwestern student teacher who had never taught a class of Philadelphia public school students. This didn't go so well for her but I still enjoyed the stories.
- 10.Grendel by John GardnerTo be fair, this shouldn't make the list because I never finished it but I do have a soft spot for any book with a dragon with the catchphrase fiddlesticks.