BEING A TOURIST IN LOS ANGELES
My mother came to visit, and I took her to see and do things I had never done before. These are those things.
- •Seeing a movie at the Chinese TheatreI typically avoid all things Hollywood & Highland, but this was a lot of fun.
- •Griffith Park ObservatoryIt's so beautiful and cool! Although the thing that excited me most was driving through the Toontown tunnel.
- •Pasadena Farmer's MarketI live in Pasadena, and I love farmer's markets, but this dumdum has never gone. Well, I went, and it was magical.
- •The Rose BowlI live in Pasadena and I had never been to the Rose Bowl. Not really a sports guy, never cared to make the effort. I *had*, however, been to Doc Brown's 1955 house down the street. Multiple times. Took my mom there too, much more my speed.
- •Musical at the Hollywood BowlI have been to the Bowl, but I had never seen live musical theatre there. We saw Spamalot, which we both enjoyed a lot. Would I have enjoyed it in an actual theatre? Probably not - I like my musicals sad and existential, and Spamalot gets a lot of mileage out of being familiar rather than original. But at the Bowl with my mom, it was a great time.
- •The Peter Pan ride at DisneylandWatching my mom live out her childhood dreams and go to Disneyland for the first time in her 50s was an absolute joy. The only thing we did I had never done before was the Peter Pan ride, which was delightful. Worth an hour wait? Probably not. But still, delightful!
- •Taping of "The Late Late Show with James Corden"I don't generally love going to tapings of things - it's a lot of waiting and standing around to watch people do what I wish I were doing for a living - but this was fun. My mom loved it, and I enjoyed myself. It was a nice way to end her visit.