HEY, THESE THINGS ARE ACTUALLY PRETTY GREAT.
Give them a try if you haven't.
- •Girl Meets WorldI've said it many times, but my dream job is writing on this show. Yes, it's a brightly colored Disney sitcom, but the writing is super sharp and filled with pathos. It's a female-driven teen comedy, with stories driven by characters striving for goodness in an unkind world. I love it an awful lot. Are they staffing? I'm available.
- •Madagascar 3: Europe's Most WantedNothing against the first two Madagascar films, but if you want to see a true absurdist masterpiece, skip straight to #3. This thing is BIZARRE and crazy dense with jokes. Forget "Afro circus" (in context, it really is pretty funny) and watch this thing. Every scene is a gift. A weird, wonderful gift.
- •Josie and the PussycatsNow I'm aware this movie has a cult following, but if you haven't seen it, DO. This is a wicked social satire that shamelessly mocks its target audience (I wonder why it was a flop?). And the songs are terrific! The opening with boy band Du Jour is worth the price of admission alone.
- •One DirectionYeah, a lot of their songs are pretty fantastic. Just accept this, take them in, and feel endless joy.
- •The Carrie DiariesI have never seen Sex & the City. Probably never will. But this show is SO CHARMING. Wonderful cast, great writing, completely-inaccurate-but-who-cares '80s costume design! It's streaming on Netflix, give it a shot. It only lasted a couple of short seasons, so it's not a huge time commitment. You'll thank me.
- •The Three Stooges (2012)I laughed. I laughed a lot. I've seen it twice, laughed a lot the second time. I can't explain it. It's just really funny. It shouldn't be. But it is. It really is.
- •Cougar TownOnce they dropped the cougar stuff a few episodes in, this show became such a wonderfully goofy good time. It's also the rare comedy series that retained its level of quality throughout a several-year run. If you're looking to binge something fun, and you can get through the first half of season one (it's not TERRIBLE, but it's really a different show altogether), check out Cougar Town. It's really good stuff.