METHODS THROUGH WHICH MY ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS HAVE ENDED
Reading Aziz's book has me reflecting back on my past relationships. By my count, I've had five. This is how they ended.
- •Phone Call (2006)She had been distant. I called her to ask what was wrong. She told me she wanted to break up. It was Christmas Day.
- •Facebook Message (2007)I would not count this as a serious romantic relationship today, but at the time, she was only the second girlfriend I'd had, and it was a big deal. After a couple days of her not answering my phone calls, she sent me a long Facebook message breaking things off. I had just gotten home from seeing a double feature of "Sweeney Todd" and "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story." A few days before Christmas.
- •Face-to-Face (2009)Lying in bed after a fight. We broke it off mutually. We slept and she left in the morning. It was the Fourth of July.
- •Face-to-Face (2010)I moved to California. We broke up when I said goodbye. A hug and a kiss, and a lot of crying. It was May 29, which is not a particularly special day at all.
- •Phone Call (2013)She and I fought constantly, and one day she stopped talking to me altogether. A week went past, and I realized how relaxing it was not to fight. I called her and broke up with her. It was the Friday before Halloween.