MY FAVORITE HAMILTON LYRICS
I'm a huge Hamilton nerd, and I can't stop listening to the cast recording. Reading the new #Hamiltome inspired me to share some of my favorite moments from the show with you all. Hope you love it as much as I do!
- •"Burr, you disgust me." "Ah, so you discuss me. I'm trust fund baby, you can trust me."Perfectly captures the swagger of Burr, showing he and the often-cocky Hamilton aren't so different after all.
- •"If you stand for nothing, Burr, what will you fall for?"This is what separates Hamilton from Burr - they are Great Men separated by one key philosophical difference. And it's summed up in this one line.
- •"Through all these tornadoes, and the waves as they crashed, you made me potatoes, and all of them mashed."This early Act II revelation shows us that while Hamilton was passionate about establishing a new financial system for America, he also really loved mashed potatoes.
- •"They say Aaron Burr is a mess, he's insane, well come here, I confess, I'm in love with a train."Aaron Burr admits at the beginning of the play his sexual attraction for trains, particularly their steam chimneys (which Burr calls "choo choo titties"). This adds dimension to his character, even though the play begins in the late 1700s, and steam trains were not in use until the 1820s at the earliest.
- •"How many cats have you seen in my pants? Look at that, seventeen!" "Come, Eliza, we dance!"Eliza liked to stuff live cats in her pants and this is how we find out. Pretty self-explanatory, really.
- •[The entire text of "Godspell"]Lin-Manuel Miranda loves to sneak in subtle references to the musical theatre that inspired him. Did you catch how Act II of Hamilton is just "Godspell" from start to finish? Listen again, maybe you'll catch it!
- •"Who lives, Who dies, Who tells your story."The guy who plays first base is NAMED "Who"! Really funny stuff.