REMINDER FOR L.A. RESIDENTS WHO WANT TO BRING UP "GOING CLEAR" TODAY
I am not a Scientologist. But that doesn't mean you aren't one.
- •You know a Scientologist.
- •Yes, you do. You live in Los Angeles.Most Scientologists I have met don't bring it up unless asked directly. They understand their reputation. They aren't stupid.
- •The vast majority of Scientologists are just like you.Many are searchers looking for answers. Many were born into it. There are a lot of different factors at play. Until relatively recently, only those in the highest ranks knew about the things we call "crazy." For most of its run, Scientology just seemed like one of the many paths to Truth.
- •Civilian Scientologists probably feel really lousy today.The entire country just watched and praised a documentary that said everything they knew was crazy and founded on corruption and lies. Do you know how lonely that must feel?
- •Bringing up "Going Clear" with anyone you don't know really well is a no-win scenario.Just don't do it. This isn't "The Jinx." Or it is, except there's a damn good chance every time you open your mouth, you're within earshot of one of Robert Durst's loved ones (assuming he still has any who aren't terrified of him).
- •But you should talk about "Going Clear."Of course you should. It's important, and it's fascinating. Just don't be a dick about it. There's a time and a place. Choose wisely.