WHY I LOVE NANCY MEYERS MOVIES
- •Nancy Meyers is a successful, powerful woman who makes movies about successful, powerful women.And they are celebrated for it! It's seen as a strength, not a weakness! It's so refreshing!
- •Not every movie needs enormous stakes. Sometimes, it's nice to just be comforted.Meryl Streep has a great kitchen, but she wants a BIGGER kitchen! That's a movie! Diane Keaton has to choose between a man her own age or DOCTOR KEANU REEVES. That's a movie! Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet switch houses and maybe it was a bad idea but wait it was a GREAT idea, and THAT'S A MOVIE!!!
- •Nancy Meyers makes movies about older people! There are so many opportunities for story beats we've never seen before!In "The Intern," Robert De Niro takes a date to a funeral, because when you're older, there are always funerals, and he didn't want to have to reschedule. In "Something's Gotta Give," Diane Keaton has to take Jack Nicholson's blood pressure before they can have sex. In "It's Complicated," Meryl Streep JUST WANTS A BIGGER KITCHEN, IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK???
- •Nancy Meyers and I understand the value of order and cleanliness.In "The Intern," Robert De Niro wins Anne Hathaway's heart by CLEANING A MESSY DESK. Immediately I was like YES, this movie GETS ME. Every room in a Nancy Meyers movie is neat and tidy and impeccably decorated. I just wanted to live in Robert De Niro's closet.
- •Shameless sentimentality. Utterly shameless and absolutely wonderful.There is nothing wrong with being sweet. I like sweet. We could all use a little more sweetness in our lives.
- •Here I am tonight after watching "The Intern." I ate caramel popcorn. I brought a blanket. And I had a lovely time.